Rhode Island Links
University of Rhode Island (URI)
Kingston, RI 02881
(401) 874 1000
URI is involved in a wide range of forestry and wildlife research and outreach activities. For more information, click on the green title of any section below.
- Forestry and Wildlife Habitat: Description of ongoing URI activities related to forestry and wildlife habitat.
- The Economic Impact of Rhode Island’s Forestry & Wood Products Sector: Study of the RI forestry sector conducted by URI in 2019. For more info about the study, click here.
- Environmental Data Center: Rhode Island digital maps and orthophotography.
- Hemlock Wooly Adelgid: Information about URI research on the hemlock woody adelgid in Rhode Island.
- Woodscaping Guide: This guide provides educational information and resources that are geared towards the interests and goals of owners of woodland parcels of 10 acres or less.
- Avian Ecology: Information about URI research on birds.
- Plant Sciences and Entomology: Information on URI research and outreach on insect and animal pest related to horticultural crops.
- Watershed Watch: A volunteer water quality monitoring programs that works with local communities to assess water quality and promote more effective management of Rhode Island’s water resources.
- Ticks and Lyme Disease: Information about identifying ticks and preventing Lyme Disease.
- URI PhD and MSc theses: Abstracts of URI theses related to forestry and wildlife.
Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (RI DEM)
235 Promenade Street Providence, RI 02908
Division of Forest Environment: (401) 222-2445
- Talk with a state service forester. Obtain a list of consulting foresters and licensed wood operators; Best Management Practices for Rhode Island; Water Quality Protection and Forest Management Guidelines. find information on Rhode Island’s Forest Legacy Program; forest conservation, management & stewardship.
- Division of Fish & Wildlife
- Freshwater Fisheries/Wildlife: (401) 789-0281
- Hunter & Aquatic Resource Education Programs: (401) 539-0019
- Marine Fisheries: (401) 423-1923
- Office of Water Resources: (401) 222-3961
- Permitting: (401) 222-2306
- Sustainable Watersheds Office: (401) 222-4700
Rhode Island Forest Conservators Organization (RIFCO)
PO Box 53, North Scituate, RI 02857
Phone: (401) 568-3421
- Educational programs and events, newsletter, Rhode Island Tree Farm Program, links to numerous publications and local, state, and federal forestry agencies and organizations.
Rhode Island Tree Council
2953 Hartford Ave. Johnston, RI 02919
Phone: (401) 764-5885
- Tree Stewards Training Program—education series on tree planting and care; urban and community forestry.
Rhode Island Tree Farm Program
- The Tree Farm program enrolls landowners who hold 10 acres or more, meet sustainable management criteria, and wish to certify their working woodland under a trusted name. While the program does not provide financial assistance, it helps landowners to promote sustainable forestry in their communities while recognizing their continued commitment to stewardship.
Rhode Island Woodland Partnership (RIWP)
Web: RI Woodland Partnership
- RIWP is a collaboration among foresters, landowners, conservationists, and professionals who represent public agencies, small businesses, and non-profit organizations. Partnership members share a common goal of advancing the stewardship and long-term protection of Rhode Island’s woodland.
USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
60 Quaker Lane, Suite 46 Warwick, RI 02886
Phone: (401) 828-1300
- Obtain the Soil Survey Map of Rhode Island and assistance with the identification of and information about the soils on your property; technical assistance with conservation planning and practices; and local conservation district contacts.
Rhode Island Natural History Survey
Room 101, Coastal Institute in Kingston
1 Greenhouse Road URI, Kingston, RI 02881
Phone: (401) 874-5800
- Information about invasive species, Rhode Island’s ecology, biodiversity protection, and extensive links to many related organizations and publications.
Rhode Island Wild Plant Society
P.O. Box 888
North Kingstown, RI 02852
Phone: (401) 789-7497
- List of native plants; official RI Invasive Species Council list of invasive plants; special programs, affiliations & newsletter.
Rhode Island Natural Heritage Program
RI DEM Division of Planning & Development
235 Promenade Street Providence, RI 02908
Phone: (401) 222-6800 ext. 4308
- Lists of Rare Native Animals and Plants of Rhode Island (on-line in .pdf); database, maps, and other materials documenting rare species and other threats to critical areas; links to New England Plant Conservation Program.
Audubon Society of Rhode Island
12 Sanderson Rd Smithfield, RI 02917-2600
Phone: (401) 949-5454
- Information, publications and programs about birds and other wildlife, environmental conservation, education and advocacy.
The Nature Conservancy, Rhode Island Chapter
159 Waterman St. Providence, RI 02906
Phone: (401) 331-7110
- Information and programs on the preservation and protection of land & wildlife.
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Rhode Island Field Office
Shoreline Plaza, Route 1A P.O. Box 307, Charlestown, RI 02813
Phone: (401) 364-9124
- Information about statewide/national projects; wildlife management
Rhode Island Resource Conservation & Development Area Council (RIRC&D)
Coverts project: www.rircd.org/covertsprojectintroduction.htm
- Conservation and development news; Rhode warm blankets project; Coverts project wildlife and forest management assistance
Rhode Island Land Trusts
- Information about local land trusts, conservation programs, and the future of your land; Estate planning
Rhode Island Christmas Tree Growers Association
- Find a local business; join the network; learn about the selection and care of your Christmas tree; plan a family or group educational outing
Rhode Island Chapter of The American Chestnut Foundation
- Learn how you can get involved in restoring the American Chestnut to Rhode Island!
Rhode Island Conservation Districts
Northern Rhode Island: http://www.nricd.org/
Southern Rhode Island: http://sricd.org/
Eastern Rhode Island: http://www.easternriconservation.org/
- Information about how the three Rhode Island Conservation Districts have specialize in the reduction of non-point sources of pollution such as soil erosion, animal waste, pesticides and fertilizers, poorly operating septic systems, and household hazardous wastes since the dust bowl of the 1930’s.
Family Forest Research Center
- The Family Forest Research Center studies the behaviors and attitudes of the people who own forests. By investigating the social, political, and economic dimensions of family forest ownership, we seek to improve forest conservation in order to better meet the current and future needs of forest owners, communities, and society
- A professional organization dedicated to innovations in stewardship, education, and forest policy; find a RI member near you
New England Forestry Foundation
- Founded in 1944, NEFF pursues innovative programs to advance conservation and forestry throughout New England. In partnership with land owners, NEFF has conserved more than 1.1 million acres of forest, including one out of every three acres of forestland protected in New England since 1999.
New England Society of American Foresters
- The New England Society of American Foresters (NESAF) is a multi- state society within the national Society of American Foresters. NESAF is composed of four divisions representing the six New England states of Connecticut (CT), Maine (ME), Massachusetts (MA), New Hampshire (NH), Rhode Island (RI), and Vermont (VT). The Divisions are Green Mountain (VT), Granite State (NH), Maine (ME) and Yankee (RI, CT and MA).
Cornell Cooperative Extension, Department of Natural Resources
108 Fernow Hall, CU, Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: (607) 255-2115
Web: Forest-Connect Webinars: http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/forestconnect/
- Resources and programs related to forestry, wildlife management, and natural resource conservation; Join educational webinars for current information on sustainable management
University of Connecticut Cooperative Extension
- Find Southern New England stumpage reports (value of timber); Regional information on natural resources and agriculture
University of Massachusetts Cooperative Extension
Forest Conservation Program: www.masswoods.net/
- Landscape, nursery, and urban forestry program; Information for forest landowners; sustainable forestry practices; stumpage report
USDA Forest Service, Northeastern Area, State and Private Forestry
Durham, NH Field Office
271 Mast Road, PO Box 640 Durham, NH 03824
Phone: (603) 868-7600
- Information, factsheets and publications on: forest health and monitoring, stewardship, fire management, conservation education and sustainability, urban and community forestry, watershed program, on-line library.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, New England Regional Office
300 Westgate Center Drive Hadley, MA 01035
Phone: (413) 253-8200
- Information and links to: endangered species, fisheries, habitat conservation and management, wildlife refuges, restoration, and conservation science
Wildlands and Woodlands
P.O. Box 1097, Redding, Connecticut 06875
Phone: (203) 938-8809, Fax: (203) 938-034
- Local initiative to conserve New England’s forests and wildlands for future generations; links to the organization’s progress report, events, activities, and other publications/fact sheets
Backyard Tree Identifyer – Home Advisor
- An interesting guide to identifying the trees in your back yard.
Endangered Species Act
- Landowner information; federally listed species; regulations
American Tree Farm System
- National convention; mission statement; webinars; woodland resources; national news; donate; find state Tree Farm programs
U.S. Forest Service
- National news, policies, maps, and public land information; Information on state & private forestry, research, sustainability, forest safety, wildfires, and national campaigns
Natural Resource Conservation Service
- Farm Bill program information; National maps and species of concern; Financial and technical assistance; Information on soils, water, plants, and animals
- Protection and restoration information; Public education; Fact pages of forests, recreation, biodiversity, climate, water, medicine, and social benefits
National Arbor Day Foundation
- Tree planting programs; membership and donations; lend your support
National Park Service
- Find a park; maps and planning guides for national park recreation; educational materials and program information at specific parks; videos, photos, and other nature-related media; forest and wildlife project news
Safety, Health and Consumer Council: Guide to Staying Safe during Wildfires
- The Safety, Health and Consumer Council has prepared this guide for staying safe during wildfires.
Society of American Foresters
- The Society of American Foresters sets the standard in forest management, bringing science, best practice, and the best people together to actively shape the future of the profession.